Intellectual property rights are a kind of legal rights to safeguard the privileges provided to an individual for their creation or invention of new work. Patents, copyrights and trademarks are the ways to provide Intellectual Property rights to an individual or an organization for their creation or invention. Intellectual Property Rights are open to any individual or organization in the field of writing, music, and invention to have a monopoly over their creation / invention for a specific period of time through Intellectual property rights.
The purpose of Intellectual Property Rights is to inspire and promote research and development. As the inventor or creator works tirelessly to convert their ideas into a reality, so their works need to be protected. If the work of a creator or inventor is not protected, they will not get the benefits of their hard work and that leads to dissatisfaction as well as discourage them to for new inventions or creation. Creation and invention are tremendously important for the advancement of humanity at large.
Some of the popular Intellectual property rights are as follows:
* Copyright: It is terms that describe the ownership and protect the use and distribution right of creative expression, including books, video, movies, music, and computer programs.
* Patent: It is a privilege provided to the owner the right to exclude others from making, using, selling, and importing an invention for a limited period of time.
* Trademark: It protects the graphical representation such as symbols, colors, phrases, sounds, design etc. of one organization from the other.
* Trade Secrets: It protects the strategies behind the business success of organization and general formula of certain products that provide them an edge over the competitors in the market place.
Plagiarism is an act of copying language, thoughts, ideas, or expressions of someone else and claiming it as the original idea of self. Plagiarism is a matter of concern because the original creator is expected to get benefits from their own work only. In any care taking credit of another person intellectual endeavors are unethical and without permission stealing copyrighted work of someone else are punishable offences in the court of law.
Digital rights management is a set of technical measures taken to restrict access, use, and distribution of digital files, such as music, book, movies, or games in order to protect the interest of copywriter holder. Digital rights management makes it impossible to steal and share the digital content in the first place and because of that it does not go in the hand of people who are engaged in the act of piracy.
Digital rights management works typically through codes in order to prevent copying, codes that limit the time or the number of devices on which a certain product can be accessed. Occasionally content creators use an application that encrypts digital content and allow access to only that person whom they intend to do so.
Digital rights management empowers to:
* Restrict or prevent users from editing, saving, sharing, printing of the content.
* Disallow users from creating screenshots or screen grabs of the content.